Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Rejoice

Rejoice!
May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the LORD. Ps 104: 34
So in order for my meditation to be pleasing to God - I first need to meditate on Him and His word! There's an idea!
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phil 4:4-7 (also in phil 2: 17-18 and 3:1)
Even when I am spending a lot of time with the Lord I have to ask myself, "am I really rejoicing in the Lord? What does that mean?". So then I looked up the word rejoice.

rejoice -
1. To be glad; take delight
2. to make joyful; gladden: a song to rejoice the heart

I need to meditate more on God's word, dying to myself and living for Him. The scriptures below are what I found to be the attitude I should have.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Jas 1:2-4
It's like an obstacle course - my desire is to not be lacking in anything and that is also God's desire for me.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, 14 I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus. 15 All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. Phil 3:13-15
We are pressing on toward knowing the Lord better and better. There is also a connection between the word "mature" in both passages.
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
This is such encouragement to me to seek God, to know Him, to be with Him, to pray, and plant the word in my heart. I must overcome the obstacles before me with an attitude of rejoicing and the mindset that I hope to pass the test before me. I must change the way I look at "trials of many kinds" they are mere challenges that refine me into a mature and complete Christian and bring me closer and closer to the Lord. It's like I need to take my self out for a moment and take on a bird's eye view - this world is not my home. Is my minor trial significant when I think of eternal life with Him? so small.
In a nutshell I believe God is showing me to have joyful attitude in everything. I think it's during those times where our stars shine the brightest!
14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe Phil 2:14-15

No comments: