Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sharing my Faith

Tonight I did the normal routine of watering my flowers and moving the sprinkler when my neighbor started walking across the street to visit with me. He and his wife moved in about 2 months and I have never gone over to introduce myself (oops). He is 63 and retired from the oil business. With a HUGE wad of tobacco in his mouth we had a long conversation between the spits! He asked me if we had any buyers for our house yet. We proceeded to talk and throughout the conversation I was able to share what God has done in my life. I was excited about my purpose and asked him if he had ever wondered why we were here on earth and how exciting it is to know. I talked briefly about how God has called us to this school and how we are put on earth to glorify God.
He was pointing out the catholic churches and the bad things that they had done I was able to tell him about how much good I see in church but how I can see how looking from the outside in that would look so hypocritical. Those bad things you hear on the news are a very small percentage of people who claim they are Christians and also the truth is we are all sinners and Christians aren't any different from anyone else. He told me his wife was sad she left all of her friends to move here and how they no longer have any friends. I suggested that they find a church because you can find tons of friends there. I warned him to go there with a mindset of being extra merciful and loving instead of with a critical eye because if you look for sin and mistakes you will find them. Also, serving others would help his wife because it actually gives your heart joy and gladness in your heart to know that you have helped someone else. This was all such new information to him! He didn't want to give any of his darn 10% to no rich church that takes advantage of you. I didn't get a chance to say this but I want to suggest to him next time that maybe he should tithe on his own to people who really need it in order to ensure it's getting the most use. He believed in God and he believed me that the Lord has called us to this school and even said, "that's good, that's good, I'm proud of you." But he didn't feel the need to go to church were they can just take advantage of you. I was able to explain that while yes, it isn't about "going to church" that it does please God when we meet together to love one another, share with each other, and strengthen one another in our faith. He agreed with me that it is about your own relationship with God, seeking Him, and not the act of "going to church". There was even more that was shared but these were the main points.
I could tell this man was so controlled by his past and the poor life he lived as a child only reaching an education of the 8th grade which he informed me of at least 6 times and how hard he worked for 29 1/2 years. These were things he was very proud of but also things that made him sad and resentful.
He said he thought I had a good "perspective" on things and he thought I should meet his wife.

I have been praying for courage and boldness to share my faith but when opportunities have arise in the past I haven't seized them and they are gone in an instant. This has encouraged me so much. I am thrilled to the bottom of my toes that God is doing this work in me. On my own strength, I can do nothing. It's Christ in me speaking. The Christ that is in my heart, the Holy Spirit. God gave me such abundance and love for speaking to this man. I am overwhelmed with love and confirmation from God - He has answered my prayers.......again!

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:11

1 comment:

Cari said...

I'm proud of you, Amber! It's exciting to see what God is doing in your life. I hope you continue to update this regularly, because I receive a lot of hope and encouragement from reading it. :)