Friday, June 13, 2008

Let's do something!

I was listening to Francis Chan and he was reading a letter from a 65 year old woman that had read his book "Crazy Love". She was so thankful for the things that she learned and was ready to act. She said she was actually fearful of the retirement phase she was entering that she saw would lead to what she defined as "recliner rot"! ha ha. She said she looked around to everyone she saw her age and they were focused on traveling, well manicured lawns, and some other things I can't remember that were worldly. She was fearful that she would fall into a lifestyle that would keep her from what God has called her to do and miss out on all of the joy that comes from knowing the Lord and being obedient.
I personally do not believe that anyone intentionally thinks that they want to be self centered all of the time. I learned that when we are too busy to be available to what the Holy Spirit is telling us or too zoned out by tv or what not to take the time to be with God we clutter our minds with our own craziness and by default we end up consumed by ourselves. I think that most people want to be generous and think of others but have gotten so busy they are trying to keep their heads above the water! I know this is true in my own life. We have to ACTIVELY seek it out.
Francis Chan went on to ask the question: "Isn't it boring to be self centered?" We get this or we get that but really, does it matter? I can't even remember what I spent my Christmas money on this year. But wouldn't you remember if you were able to give to someone who really needed it? Doesn't that stay with you? It's an eternal gift.
And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. Matt 19:29
Are my actions showing that I really believe this?
It's scientifically proven that when you give your body actually releases a positive chemical to through your body. I've noticed in my own life that I can tell generous people are happier!
The wicked man earns deceptive wages, but he who sows righteousness reaps a sure reward. Prov 11:18
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Gal 6:7

Of the World
1/3 is starving, 1/3 is hungry, 1/3 is us - we must do something

No comments: