Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Let my words be few...

Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Prov. 4:24

If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the
very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. Peter 4:11

James Ch. 3 Taming the Tongue

Likewise the
tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. Jas 3,6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. Jas 3,8 but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. Jas 3,9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness.

The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. Prov. 15:4
My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long. Ps. 35:28
When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. Prov. 10:19

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. Ec. 5:2

Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 2 Tim 2:16

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph. 4:29

The next time I second guess saying something out loud when I probably shouldn't I should stop myself and not risk sinning because then it takes me farther away from God and walking in the spirit. It's not worth the risk! I think it's a hypersensitivity I must develop to spotting evil when it comes creeping in. Especially in this world - shouldn't we be radically different? Fearing the Lord. I should praise Him instead. Not only keeping myself from sinning but also filling my mind and actions with what is good (true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy - Phil 4:8). :)

No comments: